Your Last Day at Work Before Being Made Redundant
So it’s here. Whether it’s come round quickly, or has seemed to take forever. Today is your last day.
There are a few things you should make sure you have before you say your good byes.
You can use the handy checklist below to make sure you don’t forget anything.
- A letter stating the date of your redundancy.
- Any redundancy pay, wages, holiday pay and any other money due to you.
- A written statement detailing how your redundancy has been calculated.
- Your P45 to give to your new employer so you are taxed correctly.
- Any details relating to your pension.
- Ideally a written reference to show potential employers in the future or at least a contact for a reference.
You have already have been given some of these documents prior to your last day. Therefore it would be a good idea to print this checklist off a few days before your last to give you chance to check your existing documents.
It is important to remember on your last day to remain amicable with everyone. Remember, it isn’t you who is being made redundant but the role. It isn’t personal.
Be polite with everyone and thank your employer for the way they have handled the situation and the opportunities you have had, (if it’s deserved of course). If it isn’t then just say thank you and wish them all the best for the future.
Don’t forget, you’re going to be asking these people for references later on. Plus, you never know if they will become your future managers at other companies.