Can I Claim Benefits After Being Made Redundant?
< - Back to Article List

Can I Claim Benefits After Being Made Redundant?

You may be eligible to claim benefits from the government or local authority. For example, you may be entitled to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Council Tax Reduction, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credits, free school meals for your children and help with NHS costs. All are dependent on your circumstances.

You should make a claim as soon as possible, ideally on your first day of unemployment.

To claim JSA in England Wales or Scotland, you can call JobCentre Plus on 0800 055 6688. Or claim online at

If you reside in Northern Ireland, you need to claim in person, by telephone or letter.

If you’re currently receiving Working Tax Credits (WTC) and your job ends, you will no longer be able to claim WTC. You may however be entitled to more Child Tax Credit.

In either case, you must inform HM Revenue and Customs immediately.

Would you like to get all our latest tips direct to your inbox? Sign up today.